Sunday, October 7, 2007

Apple Butter


So what do you do with ALL the apples you've picked? Why, make apple butter, of course! It's something we always had growing up in West Virginia so a number of years ago, I decided to try my hand. It's an easy recipe, it mostly takes time and patience. Here are the steps:

First, you need to peel the apples. I peeled 15 lbs today (I tripled my recipe - it's what my pot can handle!).


Next, you combine the peeled, cored, and quartered apples with spices and apple cider.


This is what it looks like with all the spices added. Mirm - no need for a Yankee candle today! It makes the whole house smell like heaven. Or at least like fall!


Once the mixture has cooked down to the desired consistency, you pack it into canning jars. I generally use pint jars - it's a nice size for gift-giving.


Once in the jars and sealed with lids and rings, process in a water bath for at least 10 minutes, then check as the jars are removed from the water bath to make sure they've sealed (if you hear a "pop" noise and can't push the lid down, it's sealed).


Here's the final product!

Here's the recipe:

5 lbs of apples (I weigh them before peeling and coring)
2 C apple cider - boil the cider separately until it's reduced by half
4 C sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp nutmeg

It's fabulous, if I do say so myself!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL - looks wonderful, but I'll leave the canning to you. Too much work for me. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Mirm - no need for a Yankee candle today!

What...? Are you TRYING to put my Candle Fairy out of business now too?

adrienne said...

having never eaten apple butter before, i must say yours looks positively yummy. it almost sounds like applesauce. how do you eat it?
just curious. more like applesauce or like jam?

Anonymous said...

Never tasted apple butter before, and I'll leave the canning to you. So when does my shipment come?
Charity

Anonymous said...

I love your Apple Butter post. It made me think of my Mom. She told stories of when she was a little girl and the relatives would get together in the Shenandoah Valley and make apple butter. She and her brother would throw a penny in the big black kettle as the apples cooked. The penny would always come out bright and clean. LOL. I make applesauce, but I think I will give your recipe a try!
Thanks!
Mary