Monday, May 28, 2007

Author Signing

I really love the author Carla Neggers. She writes mysteries that always seem to have a love story that's part of them. She tells a great tale - and sets many of her books in New England. She lives locally - over in Vermont - so of course a group of us traveled to Massachusetts to see her for a book signing for her new book, Abandon! It was a wonderful day...

I left my house around 8:15 because I had to stop at my office to get Tom's backpack that he *cough cough* accidently left. Then crossed the river over into Vermont and got on the interstate. I was actually on time for once! So it was funny when Kiri called to say they were running late. That gave me time to stop at the Dunkin' Donuts in Brattleboro for a cup of tea (let me tell you, that Dunkin' is *the* place to be on Saturday morning!), then over to Wally-world to get the two of them. I got to meet Kiri's son Shane who is VERY tall and handsome. Shane and her daughter, Kyna look very much alike - I immediately knew who he must be!

We traded books and boxes for Jacqui's upcoming move, then we were off again to the Olive Garden in Springfield. Kiri very cruelly knitted in the front seat (hey - that's MY job in the front seat!) while Jacqui crocheted. We were only going to be a few minutes late but the directions from the website were SO incredibly bad - we ended up going out of our way about 20 min *sigh*. I know, I know - I'm blonde but really, it WAS their directions and NOT us!

And dang, guys - we didn't go to that ice cream stand we passed when we made the wrong turn!

We met up with our southern New England buddies - Sue, Teresa and Nell at Olive Garden and had the best lunch. It was so great to meet up again. I think it's so neat that we all just pick up where we left off. They secretly were coveting my new bumper stucker "Don't come knockin' if your socks ain't rockin'" that's VERY bright - he he he. I just know I could convert them to knitting. Then off to Pam's paperbacks.


Carla is SO nice and SO funny! And doesn't look at all severe in these photos, do you think *grin*? She was signing with another new author, Linda Cardillo.

Here we all are waiting patiently in line for the signing.

Nell scores! Carla is signing her book. Carla is closest to Nell, and Linda Cardillo is on the right. Linda was handing out wonderful biscotti - yum!

Here's the whole motley crew, in the front Nell, me, Carla, Jacqui, Kiri and LOOMING over us all in the back from l-4, Teresa and Sue. T & S are the tall critters!

After the signing, we traded books from the bookmobile (aka my car) and hit the road a
gain.

On the way home, we stopped at Table and Vine,which has wines at a great price. I was able to score a case of Blackened Voodoo beer for Steve because I OWE him big time! What did I do, you ask? Well, Thursday was the school's megaconcert. Sam's in both band and chorus this year so would have been in the concert but it also was the evening of the STAR graduation. STAR stands for "steps towards adult responsibility" and it's a program for teens who have a chronic condition or illness. This was the last STAR program of the year so several were "graduating" including Tyler, who's been Tom's mentor. Tyler received his cochlear implant about a year before Tom- I swear Tyler is half the reason either boy has an implant! He's been like a big brother to both boys. And the Dartmouth mentors also were honored. Pamela and Liz both are deaf and have been just wonderful to our boys. So... It was really important I thought that Tom and Sam be there. So i got Sam excused from the concert.

and forgot to tell Steve!

What's worse than sitting through a two hour concert in a hot gym?

sitting in a hot, two hour concert when your nephew is not there!

Hence, the Blackened Voodoo....

He loves me again so all is right with the world!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heh, I'm surprised I didn't break your camera... LOL.