Friday, May 18, 2007

TGIF

It's been a busy week - aren't they all? We're gearing up for a busy time at work with graduation in another month, lots of new computer hardware, and then new faculty coming onboard later in the summer. I like what I do - it's interesting - and I really enjoy the people I work with. It would be nice if things were stretched out a bit more, though.

This is a big party weekend at the college. So it's a really GOOD time to avoid going into town. But then I learned that the Grandmasters of Funk were performing at the block party today - wow! Cyril Neville, of the Neville Brothers, is in this group, along with Leo Nocentelli, Bernie Worrell, Doug Wimbish and Tony Mason. The Nevilles have to be one of my top three favorite groups. In all the years we lived in New Orleans, we were never that close to Cyril Neville! And it was outside my building at work... free... Amazing... I'm still in a bit of shock.

This is a picture of Cyril Neville that we took today - we were that close!


I arrived home this evening to all SORTS of goodies in the mail!


Isn't the yarn beautiful? It's Panda Wool that I won in a contest on Adrienne's blog. I've never worked with it before. It's wonderfully soft - the yarn is a mixture of bamboo, wool, and nylon. Red is my favorite color! How *did* you know this, Adrienne?! Of course, she has a couple of beautiful patterns designed just for this yarn that I will have to check out. I also got my copy of Friendly Socks (the first book) AND Janet Evanovich's second audiobook in her Stephanie Plum series. Hugh and I love to listen to books in the car and really enjoyed the first book in this series. It was a good story - a good mystery - and funny as all get out. Janet lives in our town, which is kind of cool although I haven't had any sitings...

So between the yarn, the sock book, and the book on tape - I'm all set for the weekend!

I'm moving along nicely with (still) my three socks in progress. I'm knitting at least ten rows a day on DH's socks - I'm hoping to have them done by Father's Day! My 1776 socks are coming along nicely - I'm really liking how the striped pattern of the yarn is complimented by Adrienne's Rainbow pattern. This pattern was the June 2006 Sock of the Month club offering by theknitter dot com. It's one of my favorites - it knits up fast and the pattern is easy to memorize. I've made it at least three times.


This is also an Adrienne pattern (I'm not a groupie, I swear, just a very happy knitter with her patterns!). Menehune Cobblestones is for my friend, Nell. Nell and I have boys who are the same age with so much in common it's almost scary. They read like crazy, they both are black belts, each has a hearing loss.... And they've never met each other! It's pretty cute how they have a book club via Nell and me. Tom will say "Tell Mikey about this book...." which I will pass along to Nell. Then Mikey always returns the favor! It's not often you run into another mom with a kid with hearing loss - we take care of each other in that regard.


Both socks have deadlines of next weekend! I work well on deadline - no problem!

Tom finished my Mother's Day present and it was well worth the wait. Tom, in addition to his many other talents, is a metalsmither. Aren't these earrings beautiful? They are his own design.


Sam and Hugh are involved in a 3 pitch tournament this weekend. Unlike regular baseball, a 3 pitch tournament involves 3 pitches per batter. So the batter starts out with two balls and one strike so you either walk, get a hit, or you're out. It moves very fast and is a lot of fun. Our guys won this evening 17-7. They have two games tomorrow, along with a home run derby and at least one game on Sunday morning.

Sam and Hugh's Little League team is doing really well! We're 7-0 so far this season. Most of the kids on the team are good and really love playing baseball - so there's not a lot of goofing off. The parents are really nice as well so it's been a lot of fun for me watching the kids play (and of course knitting) and hanging out with the other parents.

Enjoy your weekend!